Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spin Class Contradictions!

I don't know about you, but I am pretty freaking lazy sometimes. It tends to come and go in cycles. I'll get super gung-ho about being in shape and active, and then of course I get super over loaded with crap to do so I don't have the extra time to lace up the runners and go for a run or whatever the activity of choice may be.

My exercise buddy (the same as my running buddy, however we just rarely run anymore) and I have been slacking particularly hard these days. Shes been out with a bummed knee, and I've been having some hip/lower back issues that we're trying to sort out. Add my crazy ass school/work schedule her mommy schedule into the works and you have a recipe for chaos. So till today we hadn't gone for a run or a spin class in a couple of months I'm guessing.

We finally decided that it was time to get our asses in gear, and well I can't speak for her but generally when we go for a run, we are garunteed at least an hour of bitching time. SO I certainly have been missing the run n rag sessions. We decided pretty easily that while running might not work out we should for sure hit up a spin class.

Now we had only done one other spin class before tonight, and the instructor of that class was a real tyrant. I barely walked out of that class alive. At this point I had finished a 10K run, was running three times a week and in pretty good shape might I add, and I wanted to die. I hurt for days after (broken sit parts? I think so, I honest to god had bruised lady parts from the damn seat) and I spent the entire hour thinking "alright blond bitch I'm going to cut you if you say "this is sooo easy!!!" one more time!!! We also spent the entire first class in the back heckling, which I'm thinking did not make us too popular with the rest of the spinners. The instructor would say "Add tension!" we'd say "you're f*in insane lady!!!!!"....and so on and so on....bad students we were....

So once we decided to "get back on the bike" this time round I was praying that hitlers great granddaughter would not be teaching again. We get to class and sign in and wait. To our great surprise the blonde tyrant has been replaced by a sweet looking brunette with a cherry disposition, and while EB (exercise buddy) and I are not fooled, we are pleased with the change.

The class starts and we're off! We started with a really nice and easy warm up, complete with light stretching and a bit of spin sprinting. If you've never taken a spin class you really have no idea what you're missing! You don't really need to be able to ride a bike as all the bikes are stationary and you get a great work out! The instructor tonight was fantastic and gave a us a great go, but the whole time the class was riddled with contradictions!

I don't know about you but I don't want to hear the instructor continuously tell me to "push myself" but to not "hurt myself" and to "listen to your body"....well ok....generally to push ones self they must, ignore their screaming limbs and burning lungs and carry on. Hmmm seems fishy to me folks!

Regardless of the few "push" and "stay safe" comments the class was a success...which to celebrate EB and I promptly stopped for subway and their lard laced cookies. Yet another contradiction however I feel a necessary one. I always end up sweating out of pores I never knew I had at spin classes so the least I can do is rehydrate with a cola and pad my butt with a cookie. See the way I see it is I need to be heavier for spin because maybe the damn skinny seat won't cause my butt to hurt! Another contradiction? I think so!!

Regardless here I sit after having watched America's Got Talent (How dare America not vote for Poppycock!!!!!) And cringing at the idea of homework and dishes...sigh! I also need to do laundry, clean the cat box and make some sort of lunch to take to work tomorrow (Thursdays I get to remember what it was like to be an ex-student as I do not have class). Till next time blog-o-sphere...I'm off to hobble down the stairs....and have a date with a couple of my best buddies Advil and cold water!

No comments:

Post a Comment