Monday, March 14, 2011

Applications.....or the kiss of death?

My latest and greatest idea in finding my way through the real world is trying to get into another school to be able to eventually start a masters degree. Then maybe medical school or being able to rehabilitate people, get them up and moving. Thats the lastest idea anyways. So this brings me to the Colledge Applications.

When applying to college the first step is filling out the application form. For the particular program I am applying to (which yes happens to be another undergrad program...but I need the pre-recs to get into the masters program so I have at least another year of hoop jumping ahead of me provided I ever get into either of the different schools I applied to) there just so happens to be a supplemental application. Which basically asks me to show off and be awesome without showing off and being cocky about my truly awesomeness.

How do you find the balance? Isn't asking what makes you great a recipe for disaster? What do you say that is going to put you ahead of all others? What can possibly said in 200 words (which is the max for the two personal questions they are asking on this current application) that will wow and really express my desires? How does it really prove why I would make a successful student?

Even worse how do I pick the things I have done in the last four years that would best show I'm an ideal candidate? Who do I put as references. How do I make up for that fact that I really don't have any academic accomplishments, awards or even recognitions to speak of with my mountain of volunteer work?

I guess I'm just scared that I have to sell myself, in the past I have always been the quiet in the background volunteer that doesn't say much, just gets the job done. There is no recognition for those who just do their job. I have never done anything truly worth recognition, I just do what I feel is right and no one volunteers to win prizes. I guess I'm just concerned that for once I actually want something and yet I'm afraid to get rejected.

So here I go! Tomorrow I put in the final step of my application...put my heart out there, and probably get trampled on because not only do I have no major academic accomplishments to speak for, but my GPA is not the greatest in the world. But should I get told no, at least I tried. And it does not stop me from living my life, it just changes the game plan, and if there is anything I have learned (and moments of which I totally plan on putting into this darned application) is that change is good. Accept it. Get rejected by it. Just never forget that pass/fail, win/lose, get in/get rejected, there will always ALWAYS be cupcakes...or beer....or more opportunities to blog about how much growing up at 24 sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment