Sunday, July 1, 2012

Just Call Me Canadian

SO. Today is July 1st which for Canadians is a big deal. Why may you ask? Because its the birthday of Canada, and we Canadians take that pretty seriously....shocking huh?

It's funny, because over the last couple weeks I've really been getting my Canadian on. I work for the military where we are all about being patriotic, and I've been emersing myself in Canadian culture (whether I planed it that way or not), and from all of this I have determined that there are four things that every Canadian does, whether they like it not, regardless of if we realize we do it or not.

1. We drink beer
Canadian beer is pretty awesome. Natural spring water right out of the Rockies, and lots of local Canadian breweries give us lots of options so there is always something for everyone. Its just something we do. Every Canadian at some point says flat out "I could go for a beer". Its what we do and damn it we do it well

2. We are EXTREMELY polite.
I was at COSTCO a week or so ago getting cheap gas and I decided to celebrate my cheap gas victory with a cheap hotdog. As I was at the concession putting mustard and relish (no ketchup) on my hotdog I put my dog down and sort shifted down the cart to get some napkins and noticed in doing so that my hotdog was sort of in the way of this other guy who was also dressing up his hotdog. SO I apologized saying "Oh I'm sorry!" and shifted my dog out of his way. To which this jerk off replied "YOU CANADIANS ARE SO FREAKING POLITE I DON'T GET IT. IT'S FINE! YOU'RE NOT IN THE WAY". I looked at the guy totally gob smacked and said "I'm sorry?".... He then looked at his buddy and continued to rant about how Canadians are so "fake" and "phony" because we apologize for everything. To which I responded "You're in Canada bitch, its just how we roll".

3. Watch Hockey
Yup every single one of us watches hockey. We definately don't all watch it religiously but if there is a big game on (Esp something like say Canada vs. USA) we are ALL ON THAT. OR during the Olypmics we all step up and we stand behind our team. More so than any other sport we all at some point watch Hockey, regardless if we like it or not. I know I sure don't really care for it much but when it really comes down to it we are behind our teams.

4.  Rip on Nickelback...but secretly love them
Yup its true. We all rip on them. We all make fun of Chad Kroger and his band of cheesie rockstars, but yet somehow their Canadian tour is selling out at every stop. Coincidence? I think not.

SO Today I invite you to emerse yourself in Canadian Culture. Drink a beer, listen to some Nickelback without shame (because its only cool on Canada Day) and be polite (it scares away the tourists apparently).



No comments:

Post a Comment