Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oh to be healthy again

These past few days have been a crazy ride for me. This weekend I took to the high seas (I took the ferry) to travel far and wide (2 hours out of my way including the ferry to Vancouver) to take part of a training clinic for skating.

I'm currently enrolled in one class where you are basically forced to make time to go to the lab outside of the actual lab time, like about 4-6 hours, which I usually do on weekends. So going to Vancouver to take part of this clinic was going to be tricky, and I basically had the joy of cramming it all in to three hours on Friday before grabbing the ferry.

So when I woke up Friday morning, I was unpleased to discover that I had become infected with a virus that rendered my nasal cavities useless against their forces, turning me into a dripping, sniffling, clogged ear-ed mess. Sharing a hotel room, and having to shmooze at a clinic. I don't know if I've mentioned this before (stupid deleted blogs) but a lot of these skating functions are not about what you know its about who you know and you are basically forced to kiss ass to be able to get ahead. Which I understand is necessary but its not really my style. If I want to volunteer my time to help skaters out, I'm doing it because I love the sport, not because I want to hold authority over kids to make myself feel better.

So anyways, off I went feeling like crap, off to this clinic that was not terribly well run, but interesting at least. It was basically a gathering of people from all over the province, all in attempts to learn the new computer system that the association uses to judge skaters. Even better the guy who created the program was there to teach us tips and tricks to work the system better. We were also able to give him feed back on things we would like to see change at the sectional level. But mostly it seemed to me the clinic was an excuse for a bunch of the "besties" to get together on someone elses dime while the other regions forced to send people had to go and put in time. Me personally I had to go to be considered for my next promotion.

So I went, I conquered, I got my form signed. Just another box checked. But in the meantime I had a ton of homework sitting on the back burner and a whack of missed lab time to deal with. Even worse is that my cold has morphed into an infestation of my cranium of epic proportions. I am going through so much kleenex its not even funny. Kleenex and pills...ooo joyous day.

So my lab today didn't go great but at least now I can regroup for next week and try and pull my stuff together!

No comments:

Post a Comment