Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hot Yoga a Go-Go

So, I recently decided that I wanted to maybe try another free skate test for figure skating, and I've been trying to attend regular skating sessions to see where I'm at and what I need to do to get back into shape. And well it hasn't been going great. My back injury is flaring up a little bit, I get bored easily of free skate and switch back to ice dance without really thinking about it, and while its still in my mind, I think the best thing I can do right now is just try to get back into shape.

I used to be active all the time. Skating lots, and going running and doing things like spin classes, but after my back going to hell, and my trip to England, and then death in the family, everything just got in the way. I know there is part of me that just keeps saying "That was all just an excuse you could have done other things to stay fit" but really? My heart wasn't in it and I needed the mental break of doing nothing if anything.

So lately, with skating in mind, I'm desperately trying to do anything and everything that can get me back into shape or at the very least keep me entertained. I'm trying to get back to the rock climbing gym (sans Asscountant it's actually a lot of fun) and I eventually want to get the guts together to go back to spin class. Today I tried Hot Yoga for the first time. Now I had done one yoga class previously through a rec centre and it was a bit of a wash. I didn't take it seriously and the class was for people who want "easy no fuss yoga".

I was having coffee with a friend a few weeks ago and he recommended I try hot yoga. I laughed at him and said forget it and we parted ways. He knows me, he got it. So flash forward to last week and my new "gotta get my ass in gear" kick, and I txt my friend and say, "I cave lets go"

So we made plans to go this morning, he recommended I come properly hydrated.

Well, I am back to report on my experiences. The hot yoga room was not as hot as expected, but don't get me wrong it was hot. Yoga, when not watered down for chicks who want to year Lulu Lemon pants to say they do yoga, is bloody hard! I for years have been told I'm a figure skater and we're just better at certain things, or we have highly movable joints etc, or all that other crap, BUT it didn't do much to prepare this particular out of shape figure skater for the fact that I was heaving and puffing through the class because apparently I have never learned to breath properly.

So yes, the class was hard, and I'm pretty sure I sweated every beverage I have ever consumed in my life out through my pores, and the drive home in soggy knickers was not something I ever care to repeat (ie take spare knickers to class to change into), it was definitely a challenge. And that was definitely what I needed. The visual may be a little harder to get over (lots of fat men trying to get in shape and you can smell them from the back of the room), but I've been feeling super laid back and energized all day. Getting stuff done around the house, gave me some motivation to do some school work, I don't even have the mindstate to argue with The Boy, after I picked a fight with him last night because it turns out everyone has been right about him being an ass (long story not getting into it...to yoga'ed out).

Now while my back injury is still flared from this mornings yoga session, I'm hoping more exercise and such will help calm it down, so it might be a couple weeks before I go back to yoga, but I think I'll be back again. And this time hopefully better hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment