Wednesday, November 9, 2011

All the wrong reasons

Last night I went to dinner, a movie, and then coffee with my friend whom for the purposes of this blog I shall call Clutch (I did not personally give her this nickname it comes from our previous place of work where she clutches all the answers...She's the best!). Clutch and I don't get to hang out all that often. When I met her we were working for the Provincial Government as casuals and we caught on like a house of fire. We ended up working side by side with each other on a computer-ish project and we've been great friends ever since, which also means we know how to have proper conversations...that last forever might I add. In a good way of course. We never lack for something to talk about! Hence why we had dinner, then a movie, THEN went for coffee because we were chatting so much.

So as we were having dinner and catching up we started to talk about the usual. Work (for both of us non-exsistent), family (her's is doing well, unfortunately had to tell her mine not so great), and life etc (she's been going through hell moving lately). We then got on to talking about future plans, and much like myself Clutch is feeling a wee bit confused about what to do next in life. How she feels (much like myself) that she needs a change, a big one, but that she's unsure of how to go about it or if it's the right decision, and to comfort her I passed along my newest and most exciting theory.

Making the right decisions gets you no further in life than making all the wrong decisions, so enough is enough, make all the wrong ones.

My reasoning? Let me tell you (much like I preached to Clutch last night). You know those people that fly by the seat of their pants? They go out drinking every weekend, show up to work hung over, spend all their pay cheques on things without thinking of the consequences, travel without plans, and literally do everything they shouldn't? Well they have more fun don't they? But the good people (such as myself and Clutch) who always do their homework, get a good nights sleep before work, never go out on weekends because we're too busy with extra curricular activities and volunteering, well guess what we're unemployed too. Just like the "wrong decision" people, we are absolutely no further ahead, except those people have more fun, meet more people, get more actual life experience.

So I think we should all start making more wrong decisions, because while they may not be the best choice, wisest idea or smartest notion, they probably won't set you back any further than making the best choice, wisest idea or smartest notion. We're all in the same boat right now, jobs are scarce, and money is tight. So why not have more fun while we can? Why not do the stupid stuff? Get more experience, go the things that we usually shy away from!

NOW this does not mean I am advocating doing something stupid. Don't be going out doing drugs, quitting work or drinking and driving or something as equally foolish. I'm saying that perhaps take another ponder at the things you usually say no to. Go for a drink after work with the gang. Stay out late on a work/school night. Buy the shirt that you would usually never buy because maybe its a bit pricey or its something you never imagined yourself wearing. Flirt with the cute barista, eat crazy food. Take chances, make mistakes, GET MESSY.

(bonus points if you know where that last quote is from. Turns out that she had it right all a long)


No comments:

Post a Comment