Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things I've googled when I should have been studying

We've all been here. Sitting at your computer in dire need to sit and do some work and actually be productive, but its the absolute last thing you want to do. So you sit, with your computer poised and .....you then start toodling around online because of course you just HAVE to know something, or find something....and well you get my drift.

So here is the list of the things I've googled instead of studying....this is only the last few from my last major paper due...I'm sure if it were a more comprehensive list of all the sites I've ever used to procrastinate I'm sure it would be way more shameful than it already is....here is my shame...for all to see .. I wrote most of this down when actually writing my lab hence the crazy rambling....

And yes I realize that this post starts of with all the crap I google to procrastinate but then turns into me telling what music you should be listening to...it just further proves that I have a procrastination AND focus problem...shouldn't shock you at all :P

1. The Magic School Bus
I wrote a blog a while back about making all the wrong decisions (clearly I took my own advice to an extreme because I should be writing this freaking lab but here I am googling all the wrong crap AND then BLOGGING about it....ugh...anyway I digress) and it occurred to me (whilst I should have been focusing on exercise science) that I didn’t really know the story behind magic school bus that THAT was a CRIMINAL ACT. How DARE I quote something I clearly know so little about. SO I took to google and came up to a Wikipedia entry that cleared the whole mystery up for me. Turns out there are a lot I haven’t read.....ok back to work (oh btw here's the link if you're interested in more info...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_School_Bus)

2. Why do some people show up on my facebook chat but they aren't online?
You know this crazy new facebook chat thing? Well I always have people that I never talk to come up on the list that are never online and I couldn't figure it out. Of course I was procrastinating on crack-book when I should have been studying...or at least writing that damn paper...and here is what I came up with...
Answer: apparently although it still isn’t clear, its a lot do with who you interact with publicly. A lot of people think that it’s who has been viewing you’re page the most (which would have been awesome because the Asscountant has been showing up on mine like crazy) but it has more to do with who you interact with publically. Which for mine I guess makes sense. The majority of people on my list are people I have messaged and stuff lately, but still doesn’t account for why the Asscountant is on that list. I haven’t “interacted publicly” (or otherwise for the record) in months? But none the less..thats Facebooks official stand point. Still think its a bit rigged but I think all of Facebook is rigged.God damn crack-book

3. Concerts in Vancouver that Fido might enjoy (my friend not my dog)
Fido's going through a bad break up (yup he finally found a girl who he was head over heels about, wanted to commit to, AND of course SHE can't commit....go figure). Talked to him on the phone today and I don't think I've ever heard him so defeated. He`s broken up with girls before, he`s been dumped before, but usually he`s pretty lax about it. He`s never really cared before I guess, cared but not really cared...does that make sense?) ANYWAYS! The last time I can remember him happy (other than when he first started dating his lady friend), was when we saw Finger 11 at the commodore SO thinking I could get him feeling better by getting concert tix I went to the net...only to realize that I had turned it off on my computer to force myself to do this damn lab report. So that will have to wait. 

4. How to turn the E with the french accent off?
While typing the blurb about the concert tix I mashed the keyboard in my haste and somehow magically changed my keyboard settings and switched it to french and for the life of me couldn’t remember how to fix it. Had to turn my Wi-fi back on to do so. Then had to restart my computer. Good lord. Go freaking figure...For the record if you are in the same boat as me, just go in and change your languages then restart your computer...should fix it up real quick. Turn it on to US and it will fix all the annoying french canadian settings, unless that's what you want...then I say have at er :)

5. In general - actors/actresses on IMDB
I have certain TV shows I like to watch and I always start to wonder where the actors were before they landed some of their roles, also I like the trivia and the whole “7 degrees of Kevin Bacon” kinds stuff....My most recent “MUST IMDB” moment was Beth Bhers from 2 Broke girls, I love that she’s such a ditz and I wanted to find out just where the heck she came from..turns out nowhere really. I already kind of knew about Kat Dennings, her role in Charlie Bartlet was brilliant SO when I saw she was in this new show I was eager to find out more about the cast, and enter Beth Behrs into my life...and now yours check her out! Of course after IMDB I immediately had to watch various youtube clips on 2 broke girls, which led to me watching various clips of various artists singing my favorite songs (of course normal progression of procrastination) hence the following...after the clip that is

6. Amazing Artists on Youtube that even though they came from cheesy TV shows, deserve your TLC
I get a lot of music off of the many TV shows I watch. God how I managed to find time to get an undergrad when it's obvious I'm a TV-aholic I will never know. I hear it in a TV show and if I love it I have to have the MP3, and then I go on Youtube when I should clearly be studying and try and find amazing live versions or acoustic versions of them. And they don't just have to be from TV shows, if I find an amazing band, that's all I need as an excuse to youtube the crap out of them! Example A the Ron Pope - Drop in the Ocean. AMAZING right? If you haven't watched it, scroll down and please do so...or make it up to me by watching some of these (you so won't be sorry!!)

Shawn McDonald- Captivated (Originally from Drop Dead Diva)
Ryan Star- Losing Your Memory (Vampire Diaries...don't judge me for my love of man candy)
Sara Bareilles - Gravity
I've always been a huge fan of her music and I actually own ALL of her albums (as in I went to the store and actually purchased them or ordered them from Amazon) but she has had a bunch of her music featured in Vampire Dairies and a couple movies so at least its not SOO shameful...but what it misses in my secret shame it makes up for in pure awesomeness
Tegan and Sara - Where does the good go. 
I've been a fan of these guys for awhile, but for a long time radio here only played the song "walking with a ghost" which I hated. I mean its an ok song, but it got so over played that I always switched it off and of course if you don't like the first taste of a band, you don't go seek out more right? Well enter watching Grey's anatomy. I think their entire album "So Jealous" was at some point or another featured in one episode or another, and of course I fell in love with it all so I youtubed them and found out, that Walking with a ghost doesn't fit the rest of the album. These two are super cute and seem to have actual personality, in that they actually really enjoy being social with others, where some rock stars don't even acknowledge others presence (ie the Chili Peppers..

AWOLNATION - Sail - If you don't know who this band is you need to buy (yes BUY) their album immediately, if not sooner. They are fantastic. I can't believe they have come to my town twice and I've never seen them live. Their music, is amazing, I cannot figure out a better way to describe them. If you listen to them and you then turn out to love them like I know you will...remember where you got it from (that'd be me) (and of course I got AWOLNATION from a guy I used to work with and without him life wouldn't be the same so thank you Cpl...and if you ever come across this...I am fully admitting, but not to your face the following "I was WRONG....YOU were RIGHT"...there happy?)
Barcelona - Come Back When You Can (Vampire Dairies). This song is so soulfull I love it. Regardless of where it came from I think its amazing. Throw in a stage orchestra and I'm pretty much sold regardless. And who hasn't been in this exact position? In an argument with someone you love, they bolt on you and you want nothing more for them to come back because no matter how bad things where, how much you pissed each other off....you just want them to come back to you because together you think you can figure it all out together. That regardless of the words said and the things done, that together you really can take on the world.... Now why this really isn't the reality, it sure is a nice notion isn't?

Serena Ryder - Little Bit of Red. Hated this song when I first heard it on the radio. With a ridiculous passion, it was just so horrible and over done. But then I heard it somewhere acoustically...and fell in love with it. I love the song even though I should hate it...but alas here I am. Maybe when its acoustic you can feel her pain, and I connect with that more than the pop-ed out crap version?
The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream. SO this is kind of a long one, but I found out about this band from watching the Secret Circle premiere after watching the season opener of Vampire Daireis. I loved the song "Young Blood" and after finally being able to get the name of the band that sung the damn song, I went out and BOUGHT the cd (shocking huh? I apparently actually buy music) and this has to be the best damn song I've ever randomly stumbled upon without knowing anything about the band at all. Other bands I usually know something about, or have a notion as to what their musical genre is but not this one. Total random purchase, and it really paid of!


Depeche Mode - Waiting for the night. This isn't really a find, but I do think it's worth mentioning as it is acoustic/live music at its absolute best. One night while procrastinating I found this. The live version of this song, from the actual concert I went to. I was there. I got to witness this life, and I was gobsmacked. Keep in mind, this is 100% them, live, on a crappy audience filmed camera, and the guy was getting over cancer. Suck it all you tweeny bopper "auto-tuned" bullshit artists. This is how you get shit done....This is how you last forever, because let's face it? What now famous band doesn't know and respect Depeche Mode? The ones that won't last past two albums of course...
 

7. Bands that do covers of other bands
I'm an addict for things like this. I love hearing bands that I love cover other bands I love. I also love it when a band I don't 100% care for makes me a fan because they themselves have good taste in music. It is my personal belief that EVERY band should have a cover song in their back pocket. Just one to whip out to keep fan on their toes. Being able to share something like that with a crowd? I think it connects with your audience more and its proof that you too listen to the greats and that you aren't stupid enough to think that you are the only band on the entire planet whose music is good enough to be heard. It humbles a band. But they are really hard to come by. I guess even though as a fan I love it when bands do this, I guess the bands don't really like to do it? I dunno it seems like they don't always do them and even when they do you can't find the physical proof to prove it. SO of course its a great way for me to procrastinate! So here are a few of my absolute favorite cover songs by bands. (and yes the Radio 1 Lounge in the UK does have artists come in and do covers all the time, and I LOVE it...but still they aren't easy to get the tracks from...)


Adam Gontier (Three Days Grace) - Wicked Games
This makes me melt every time. I've actually had the privillage to see him sing this live a couple times, and its just breath taking. Chris Issac can suck it, Adam does it better. Then again, it could be the fact that hearing this live, being surrounded by his voice and hearing intensity live...and thinking the dudes man candy...don't help... but it does make your panties want to drop.....or mine at least
AFI - Just like Heaven. I am a huge fan of The Cure, and I think its really interesting to know that most big bands out there today and a lot of popular TV shows, still credit the Cure for a lot of things. AFI did this really awesome cover that didn't make me want to gauge my eyes out when I saw them at warped tour many many years ago, and I think that they pull it all well! (yes the lead singer of AFI creeps the hell out of me and I think they are a bit of a poser kind of band, but the guy sings it well without butchering it...can't really ask for more than that sometimes...its cute so just enjoy for Pete sakes).
Umbrella - Mandy Moore. I cannot bloody stand Rhianna. I DETEST her, and her horibble over produced dime a dozen voice. In my opinion she is 100% whats wrong with pop music today. As far as I'm concerned she is only making money because people feel peer pressure from their friends to listen to her because the media crams her down our throats whether we like her or not. I refuse to be a lemming. HOWEVER, Mandy Moore singing this? Actually makes me think that song holds meaning. She brings a whole other side of it to the table. I hate Rhianna, but this song with the vocal stylings of Mandy Moore? Not too shabby Miss Moore...not too shabby.
Green Day - We are the Champions. To me it seems like everyone has their own opinions on Green Day. You either like them, and have been a fan from the beginning and stuck out their shit albums between their brilliant albums pattern, or you just aren't a fan. Regardless I don't think anyone could ever deny that they put on one hell of a show. I've been lucky enough to see them live a few times and I always have a total blast. They are one of those bands that I feel just loves their fans, and they have a social consciousness about the BS going on in the world, and are brave enough to tell people to "sod the hell off". Hearing them sing this? Well there is no band that I can think of that has triumphed more over the music world than they have...Also. Any band that says "If someone goes down you pick them up. This isn't war this is rock and roll!" to me is AOK in my books.
Josh Groan - My December. Linkin Park? Aren't bad, but I think a bit too stereo typical of what they think isolated teenages who need to break things are. Josh Groban singing their stuff? Pure Brilliance.
The Killers - Shadow Play. Anyone that wants to cover classics like this to make them cool again (so we get to hear quality instead of mass produced crap on the radio) is good in my books. And their the killers! Come on! They rock! Joy Division? They also rock! How could this be bad?
Shiloh - Man in the Mirror
After MJ died a whole host of his covers came out. Everyone jumped on the band wagon as if they had always been big fans of him, which to be honest most were. Any artist that says they were never in some way influenced by MJ are full of crap. Choreogrpahed dance moves, tight pants, pop beats all that, MJ did it first folks, and even if you are a hard core rock monger, rock and roll artists are too in debted to this amazing man. NOW granted I don't know where I stand on his lifestyle. I don't know what he did or didn't do, but musically he was a genius. So finding this talented Canadian Shiloh (who I'm sure you've never heard of...) sing one of his songs? Fabulous.
Foo Fighters - Bad Reputation (with the amazing Joan Jett)
I just found this a few days ago but its still awesome. Having The Foo Fighters as your back up? Not too Shabby at all. Even if its not a true cover, it still gets a mention
Anberlin - Enjoy the Silence. Ok so I'm a pretty big Depeche Mode Fan. And sadly and so typically "Enjoy the Silence" is one of my favorites of theirs.. I'm also one to believe that unless you can do a song justice, cover or not, you shouldn't touch the greats. Depeche Mode has been around long enough to have the respect of those following them. In other words. Don't cover what you can't do justice. I've heard MANY a Depeche Mode cover thats made me want to slit my own wrists then take a bath with a toaster. This one? Not half bad. Its a nice little harder edge cover and its done fairly well...even if I did find it from a vampire dairies episode. No judgement please.
Darren Hayes - In Your Eyes. Anyone whose ever seen "say anything" watching the scene in the car...swooooon. The song itself is so iconic and to cover it, well its a pretty gusty move when you're livilyhood is females that listen to your music who inevitably have seen all the chickflicks and knows the originals of all these songs (stuff like thompson twins if you were here, or omd if you leave etc...think John Hughes movies), well to cover them is ballsy in my opinion. Well Darren Hayes, you made me a believe that it can be done because your version of this song makes me feel like its totally different than the original and that they stand apart. And of course the panty drop factor is still there...even though I'm sure you're gay. Of course no judgment, but I still melt from your voice....
My only regret is that for the life of me I can't find him singing this...its just the song...but still give it a shot!
My Darkest Days - Come undone
Last one of the night. Not because I'm running out of material but alas out of steam. Keep in mind that all of these videos are ones that I just keep pulling from a big pile of crap saved in my favorites. This band is one of those bands you actually make an effort to see when they are the opening band. They are a wee bit all over the place as is their CD, but this song? AWESOME. Who doesn't live a good Duran Duran cover? Weenies...that's who.

Ok well as you can see I am the master of procrastination as now I'm even procrastinating going to sleep! 


Hopefully you found out some good info or got a couple of song suggestions...I tried not to post anything too main stream or typical (but probably failed miserably!)


If anyone out there has a song they think I should know about I'm always dying to hear them! I love finding weirdo random amazing stuff and I find that unless someone shoves something in your face or its mainstream you never find it! 

And if you really enjoyed this massive purge of musical awesomeness in your face....fear not I've already formulated a plan in my head to do a part two "covers, musicals and live events you should have seen yourself"...ie I may decide to dip into my own personal collection of live video footage! I've got WHACKS.


Night folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment