Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ahhhh

Ahhh...behold a new year! Starts off so nicely doesn't it? We all let go of past indescretions in hopes that the new year will bring us new understanding and new surprises. Well I may not be a psychic or even really all that smart, but I can garuntee that any new year will bring many surprises your way.

I love the start of a new year. This year particularly, after having such a topsy turvy last year, I am determined to keep a positive mind and a fresh attitude.

But of course the start of a new year also always leads to new years resolutions. Now I'm not sure why I even make these because they never last.  I seem to get part way through January and it all goes to hell. Well not always. One year I was determined to get into better shape and T and I ran in a 10 km race. I ended up screwing up my back in the process....but I digress.

This year when pondering new resolutions I decided that there is absolutely no point in making resolutions to do things that are just never bloody well going to happen. I'm not going to stop drinking coffee or exercise more. BUT maybe I can do the things that I should be doing anyways. So here they are.

My New Year's Resolutions
1. Drink more water.
I know I drink way too much coffee and pop. I know its bad for me. But its not about to change. I don't smoke or do drugs or drink alcohol all that often, I bloody well will enjoy something bad for me. SO maybe instead of giving up something I love because its bad for me I will try to do something to dilute it. Hence the drinking more water. It also leads to things like better joint mobility (because they are then better lubricated) better skin quality (what girl doesn't want that??) and aids in digestion which can also lead to better metabolism (again what girl doesn't want that???). See good things all around, and I can keep my dirty little habit.

2. Get more sleep at night
Ugh. I have a bad habit of staying up too late watching TV on my computer. With my computer on in my bedroom it becomes way too easy to just watch "one more thing". So my goal is to just turn off my computer more and then I hopefully will got to bed sooner at night. More sleep leads to better memory retention and as a result of sleeping more I will hopefully be a nicer morning person. I'm not stupid enough to deny myself my TV shows but I am going to try and turn off my computer earlier in the day.

3. Cook and bake more
I don't cook a whole lot. And when I do I tend to stick to things that I eat all the time so I don't really care much for food. I think there is a whole other side to food that I don't really know or care about. Some people are always chatting about places they go to eat or food they've made, and I don't really seem to have the desire for food that they do. SO in an attempt to better myself and learn something new, I want to cook and bake more. I've actually already started this resolution. Over the last few days I've made red velvet cupcakes (they were a bit of a disaster....), cinnamon buns (which turned out pretty tasty) and caramel apple upside down cake (it looked AMAZING...I sent it to a potluck that I didn't attend tonight so I didn't get to try any). I really like baking, but cooking doesn't really interest me. So that will be the struggle for me. I'm one of those people that uses food as a means to be able to lead the crazy lifestyle I lead, but no so much as something I really sit down and savor or enjoy. SO I want to try and change that. Besides, learning how to cook without killing someone? Can't be a bad skill to have in my back pocket.

So there you go. There are my resolutions. Nothing fancy, nothing over the top. I guess like my attitidue towards life right now, I just want things to be calm smooth sailing, and I think my resolutions will make that even more possible!

What are your resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment