Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Whole lot of talkin goin on.

Fido was in town yesterday, and oddly enough he actually made time to see me, which is actually a pretty rare oddity, given that he usually only comes into town for 5 hours to have dinner with his mom (he's a total momma's boy which I think is one of his very few redeeming qualities) then bolt.

SO we went public skating. Also odd because we continue to have the epic battle of the blades between us. I'm a figure skater and he is a hockey player. In fact, we used to run into each other at the rink all the time, and he would make fun of me for being a figure skater and I would tease him for needing a stick to stay standing. But that was a long time ago, and while we really haven't matured all that much, and still argue about which sport is better, I guess at some point we decided to give up the ghost and say that each sport has its merrits. As a side note we actually spent the majority of our time together talking about how to best teach skating, what the differences between skates are, and then most oddly, we talked about big name competitors in skating, what Virtue and Moir are up to this year, what Patrick Chan is up to, and ya it was rather enjoyable because I have this odd feeling Fido keeps up on it just to impress me, or shock me. Either or really. Wins every time, as I never cease to be amazed.

I digress.

So we went skating. And Fido tried to convince me to show him some 'tricks'. To which I said "No not on a public skating session". Truth? I was too scared to do anything because if I fell or made an ass of myself I probably never would have lived it down. He would never have let it go. The epic battle between hockey player and figure skater would have been over and sealed, and I would be responsible for the shame that would befall my own. Soooooo wasn't happening on my watch. See the problem is that I usually only Ice Dance. I don't do a whole lot of jumps or spins in that. In fact I don't do anything. Edge work and foot step sequences yes. But not jumps or spins, and clearly that is what Fido wanted to see. Haven't done any of that in probably 3 years, and I certainly wasn't about to bust them moves for the first time in 3 years infront of a hockey player. Not. Bloody. Likely.

Fido sort of called me on this. Sort of. I don't really think he knows be basically called me on it but he did. Made me realize that damn it, I haven't freeskated in awhile, and while I do heart the ice dance (my lover), that perhaps, its time to go back to being a bit more well rounded, so that my ass doesn't become so well rounded. I was so subtly reminded that, to be on that ice is what I love, I can prefer a facet of skating, but what I love is to be standing on my 1/4inch blades moving around in unique and interesting ways.

He somehow reminded me that there was this whole other side to the sport that I used to do that I no longer partake in, which is wrong. And so today, for the first time in probably 3 years, I went to a skating session and didn't really do any ice dance at all (I did a couple bits and pieces while skating) but other than that I worked on spins and a few jumps and some fiddling around to get from end to end. But ya, just skated. For me. Remembered what I loved about the sport. The freedom. Please note that it was no easy feat to get to the rink either. I'm too cheap to pay for parking at my university so I took the bus, but wasn't paying attention and missed my stop so I had to walk an extra 15 minutes in the cold. Frack.

Damn it I hate that a hockey player had to put me in my place. I will never ever admit it to his face.

Tonight I'm feeling a bit rough. My back hurts, my abs hurt, my feet have skate related blisters for the first time in probably 10 years, and my ass hurts (even though I didn't fall on it...HA). And I feel that seeing as it is Fido's fault I got back out there, that he should be the one here listening to me bitch, or at least offering a foot massage....

Damn hockey players..

No comments:

Post a Comment