Thursday, June 17, 2010

Being wrong never tasted so crisp and dry

Ever find that every time you say that you don’t like something, or that you can’t do something, someone/something somehow tries to call your bluff? Well the Universe called my bluff today big time.

Awhile ago I got a facebook message inviting me to have drinks and dessert with some of my old high school friends, who in the past have always been a little more ahead of me in the game of life. They are all graduates, they all have 'adult' jobs, and serious committed significant others. Regardless the date was set for a wine bar and well to be honest I am no wino and I don’t tend to like it when I have to sit and hear others blab on about how great they are while sniffing and sipping their wine. I tend to think I’m not old enough to appreciate wine and the idea of going out for was wasted on me.

Well turns out I didn’t know how good of a time I was going to have. I generally don’t like wine (their evening special was mighty tasty and has made me a believer), these people and I don’t have much in common (apparently it didn’t matter to make it through tonight’s conversation which focused around movies viewed and books read) and that I would leave feeling unsuccessful compared to them (nope, work barely came up unless talking about HST).

Apparently most of my friends are pretty tied down (even if they don’t admit it) and I must say it felt pretty exhilarating to not be tied down at that point. I was the only person at the table that could up and do whatever they wanted and be totally selfish. And that? Well that made me feel pretty awesome because for once I had only my best interest in mind and not someone elses. While I know my friends are all very happy I couldn't help but realize that their lives? Not my box of two buck chuck :)

Ok so the moral of the day (and I swear there is one in here) is such: Things are not always as they seem, and sometimes the universe is really out to get you (hence flat tires, bad hair days and the fact that cake goes straight to your ass). Yet sometimes you just need a good swift kick in the ass to remind you that while it’s great to be who you are, the taste of stuffing your foot in your mouth can also taste like Mount Nelson Sauvignon Blanc.

No comments:

Post a Comment