Sunday, June 27, 2010

Not Musically Inclined? Let me help you!


So, I've been around the block, musically that is. I've seen many a band live and I've bought way too many a cd. Live music is the best, and nothing can beat it but should you not be able to see the band live, a cd is always a good option. Now I'm not saying I don't dl music because I do, but rest assured itunes and I are tight, and if I like something I generally buy the cd. I'm old school, I like having the actual album, along with the art. I like to proudly display my cds on a very snazzy ikea brand shelf unit, and anything that doesn't fit (ie the stuff I'm not interested in right now....yes I rotate my cds) goes into a pile in my closet. So here are my CD recommendations of the day. In alphabetical order by band (as they appear on my shelf):

Armchair Cynics (Killing the Romance): This band is a local rock/alternative band, that you might know by their song "coal mine" or "ablaze". They have 3 cds out, including an acoustic coffee shop album that are also good. Killing the romance is a good mix of rock with a varied mix of fast and slow tunes. I find the album full of power music. The songs that demand to be played loudly and that make you want to shut your eyes sit back and belt out the lyrics because they sit so close to home. Coal Mine, and Bang were the title tracks off the album but I think the best songs are "Smile" and "Lost Control". Like em? Try: The Art of Dying, Finger 11(as seen in the picture).

Barenaked Ladies (Gordon): While I do own most of their ablums, I believe this one to be the best. Not only did it have "If I had a million dollars" and "Hello City", it also had Enid and "King of bedside manner". If you've never ventured into "naked" territory than you are really missing out. Those that never got the chance to see the Ladies as the original group are really unfortunate as these guys demand to be seen live to really enjoy them. Their Gordan CD is a definite second. Like em? Try: Jack Johnson, Counting Crows, Cake.

Cobra Starship (While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets): This is another band that not a lot of people know about. They are a mostly pop with some funk, rock and rap infusions, and their music is seriously awesome to dance to. This album contains the song now dubbed my theme song, making "Church of Hot Addiction" a great club song. They sing it like it is, and they certainly have a good time. If you like them? Try : Faber Drive, Fall Out Boy.

Franz Ferdinand (Tonight: Franz Ferdinand): Another band with more than one album out, but this one is my favorite. You'll probably know them by the song "Take me out" from their first album or "no you girls" as it was on the Ipod Commerical. This cd is a funky jazzy rock album. Want a real treat? See them live and be prepared to be totally amazed. This album keeps things fresh and mixes them up, while going along with a rock medley, but mixed with some jazz to switch things up. An album that can be listened from start to finish with out the need of the stereo remote. Like em? Try: The Killers, Jet, The White Stripes.

Horrorpops! (Hell Yeah!): This funky band, is more of a ska band than anything. The lead instrument is a stand up bass played by a vivacious blond. They don't take shit, and they don't follow the rules, which makes the album 'Hell Yeah!' and amazing album with multiple sounds, that you would expect to clash but instead they fuse together to make you feel invincible at the end. So turn it up loud, bop your head along, and enjoy! Best songs? 'Where they wander' and 'psychobitches out of hell'. Like em? Try: Nexcromantix, and Vampire Weekend.

Inward Eye (Throwing Bricks Instead of Kisses): Another home grown Canadian Band. They did play a live stint during the Vancouver 2010 Olympics during the closing ceremonies, but their album is better represenation of what they do. Rock meets alternative, they were also featured on a free itunes dl from starbucks. Try 'Day after Day', its sure to get you to stand up and make a mini mosh right in your house. Like em? Try: Kings of Leon, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Marianas Trench (Fix Me): This is a great rock meets punk album by home grown Canadian boys. I swear I don't listen to only Canadian rock bands!!. This is their first album and I enjoyed it so much because its kind of gritty, not so finished. Should you have only heard their second album and written them off, take another look. Their style may have changed for the second album, but the talent was always there and they totally deserve another investigation. Alibis and Say Anything are my favs off the album but I say give it a listen yourself and find your own. Like em? Try: All American Rejects.

Well I hope this keeps your ears a going for a little bit! Now I am off to do some laundry for my first day on my temp job tomorrow, and to get some sleep. If you have any like em? try: suggestions I'm always interested! Want me to review a cd? Let me know!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment