Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I've been a bad blogger lately. I have been so busy getting wrapped up in Holiday Insanity that everytime I thought "Oh I should blog about by day!" I realized that I hadn't even turned my computer on that day and it wasn't in my vicinity before bed. Getting up going upstairs grabbing my computer and coming back to bed just to blog about how I spent my day running around a warehouse attempting to locate donated gifts to meet the deadline for the gift and hamper distribution just didn't seem an appealing option.

But that has been where I have been none the less. I spent the majority of last week volunteering for Santa's Anonymous, a charity that when families sign up we distribute gifts and food hampers to them to help them out through the holidays. In theory is sounds simple but the reality is a lot of planning and the need for a lot of volunteers. Unfortuately (not that these people aren't amazing....I mean no disrespect) the majority of people that volunteer are retired and well they have their own way of doing things, and so this year when they changed the whole system, and modernized it (ie computers) it made some of the older more seasoned volunteers a little upset. Made it a little stressful and a bit hard to manage but we got through it! We had a lot of new volunteers this year that were younger and didn't know the old system, so they didn't let it bother them, but for those that were so used to the "old way" the "new way" threw them.

So with the chaos of the volunteering, I somehow (not surprisingly) managed to leave all my own Christmas things to the wayside and so for the last couple days that I have no longer been volunteering, I've been rushing like a mad woman to get all my Christmas shopping and such out of the way. This year I've turned to "doing things with people" or "making gifts" rather than just going out and buying presents. Year after year I buy things for people and I swear it just sits and collects dust. I forefit. But making the presents takes time, and more specically it takes more time than I had anticipated so I am (not at all shockingly) behind. Damn.

Today I finally finished a sewing project for a friend of mines Mom. We were sitting around one night and trying to figure out what to do for everyone for Xmas, both of us short on cash and trying to be thrifty this year decided to try and make everything. We got onto this idea of sewing a bag, which in theory seemed simple, until I realized that neither of us had really sewn all that much in the past few years, nor had enough experience to really design anything or create patterns. Not that that stopped us. We figured it out, and I managed to get an exuberant amount of pin pricks while piecing everything together to FINALLY get it done today. Phew big sigh of relief. Especially when we wanted to have it done at the start of December. Oh well better late than never! I think it turned out pretty amazingly if I do say so myself. Wish I could have had time to press it properly (hint hint nudge nudge T).

During all of this I managed to get in all the shopping I needed to do for my parents Xmas party for their staff, pick up my new glasses and catch up with T and her daughter (who adored the barbie I bought her...suck on that Asscountant), and take my nephew to a Magic Show. Phew. Busy day! The staff party was fantastic and the magic show was good, and of course my new glasses didn't last 5 hours before I noticed they have a ding in them and they have to go back. WHY ME? Its a good thing the people at my optometrist's office like me so much because tomorrow they are going to be seeing me come in with dinged glasses less than 24 hours after taking them home. Awesome. At least this time I think I'm keeping the frames.

Anyway! So I'm trying to get on board with the Holidays. Tomorrow I'm going on in search of my last couple Xmas presents that I'm not making (I'm not wonder woman) and some stocking stuffers for my parents! I hope whoever you and regardless of what you believe, that you are having a much more productive December than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment